Port Charles Rat Attack
Port Charles Rat Attack is a project of the Moehau Environment Group; a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the natural environment of the Northern Coromandel Peninsula.
Our mission is to achieve a standard that would allow the re-introduction and recovery of endangered species.
- To work for the protection of the natural environment of the Northern Coromandel Peninsula, and in particular the well being of the lands, the waters, and the plant, animal and human populations of the area.
- To engage in education on environmental and related issues, particularly but not exclusively those issues concerning the Northern Coromandel Peninsula.
- To support careful planning for the well being of the lands, the waters, and the plant, animal and human populations of this area.
- To engage in projects for natural habitat enhancement, pest control and any other activities to further these objects; and
- To educate; empower and enable members and non-members alike to protect and enhance their natural environment for its own sake and for the health, well being and happiness of all who reside in it.
The Northern Coromandel, stretching from Coromandel Town up to Port Charles.
18,500 ha, primarily on private land.
Moehau Environment Group
Formed in 2000, our first project focused on possum control in the prime coastal forest north of Waikawau Bay. Since then our horizons have expanded, and we now manage six predator control projects, which include a Kiwi Sanctuary, Wetland Restoration, and the Port Charles Ratattack alongside an annual Summer Holiday Programme.
Our efforts have allowed for the recovery of many endangered species in the Northern Coromandel including dramatic turnarounds for kiwi, fern birds, Bittern, Kaka, and Marsh crake. The hard work of our volunteers and members has allowed for the successful reintroduction of the North Island Robin and Pateke (Brown Teal), with both species now successfully breeding in the area.
Primarily on private land. Anyone interested in visiting our projects can email email@example.com